10th January 2020
Samsung Electronics, along with our affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “
Samsung”) respect your concerns about privacy. This SmartLab Plus Privacy Notice applies to the personal information we collect through the SmartLab Plus services (“SmartLab Plus”). It does not apply to information collected by other apps, websites or services provided by Samsung. Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited is the data controller for the processing of personal data.
What information do we collect?
Through your use of SmartLab Plus we obtain and maintain information about you in various ways.
SmartLab Plus Interactions: This includes information that you give us directly when you interact with us by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. It also includes information you provide when you register to use our site, participate in discussions, surveys, answer mini polls, suggest ideas on or via our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, submit a query, and when you report a problem with our site.
The information you give us includes your name, address, e-mail and phone number, personal description, photograph, login and password details, responses to surveys, media capture (including video and voice recordings) and other discussions which take place on our site.
Samsung Account Information. Should you register to the Site through your Samsung Account, we will collect information associated with your Samsung Account such as your name, gender, birthday, email address and Samsung Account ID.
Information we collect about you from using our site: The Site’s operation, as is standard with any website on the Internet, involves the use of computer systems and software procedures, which collect information about the Site’s users as part of their routine operation. We will automatically collect information from you each time you visit Our Site.
- Technical information. This may include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, country location, browser plug-in type and version, operating system and platform.
- Information about your visit. This may include the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our helpdesk or social media handle used to connect with our customer service team.
How do we use your information?
The information we collect from you are used for the following purposes:
- to contact you by email to invite you to take part in specific market, social and satisfaction research activities; to obtain your views on products, services and the activities of the Community (“Market Research”); processing for this purpose is based on your consent. It is not mandatory for you to give consent to Samsung for use of your Personal Data for this purpose, and you will suffer no consequence if you choose not to give it (aside from not being able to receive further invitation to take part in market research activities). Any consent given may also be withdrawn at a later stage.
- to process your answers to surveys and analyse the results to help us improve our services, for example to enable us to act upon information you provide us or to deal with any complaints or concerns you raise with us and to ensure that content from the Community is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and/or device(s) (“Improvement”); this processing is based on Samsung’s legitimate interest to improve its services and product.
- to comply with legal requirements (for example, to comply with applicable accounting rules and to make mandatory disclosures to law enforcement) (“Compliance”);
In order to provide you with the SmartLab Plus service, we have engaged a trusted partner, Verve, to process your data on behalf of Samsung.
How long do we retain your information and where does it go?
Data related to your SmartLab Plus Interactions is retained for the life cycle of the Community (for live/active community members) and in accordance with the contract between us and Verve, which may require the data to be stored for a further three (3) months after the closure of the Community. If you unsubscribe, we will not contact you, and your personal data will be deleted within three (3) months of unsubscribing. Once deleted we will no longer have a record of your inclusion in the community and therefore you may receive correspondence from Samsung directly to join again, via one of the following methods:
- Dedicated invitation from Samsung if you have separately opted in to receive communications from Samsung; or
- Via the Samsung Members App
- Via Samsung.com
For information on how long your Samsung Account data will be held, please see the
We will hold helpdesk correspondence for up to 2 years. This information is held for the purpose of responding to you, should you contact us. We will retain video responses and all survey responses at an aggregated level for the life time of the community. This is in line with data protection legislation and Market Research Society guidelines on retention of data. This may include retention necessary to meet our contractual obligations to you, to identify issues or to resolve legal proceedings. We may also retain aggregate information beyond this time for research purposes and to help us develop and improve our services. You cannot be identified from aggregate information retained or used for these purposes.
Your use of SmartLab Plus will involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information to other countries, subject to appropriate contractual clauses being in place; such countries include, without limitation, countries in the European Economic Area, Republic of Korea, the United States of America and Japan.
Updates to this privacy notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our personal information practices with respect to SmartLab Plus or changes in the applicable law. We will indicate at the top of this Privacy Notice when it was most recently updated.